Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cleaning the chemical free way! (and affordable too!)

A new year has begun and if your house is anything like mine, it looks like a tornado has hit! Parties, cooking, gatherings..there is not a clean spot in my house after it all! I have really resisted the urge for some deep down cleaning since I still have a cabinet full under my kitchen sink of cleaning products bursting at the seams with chemicals. While there's an abundance of all natural cleaners all worth a pretty penny for being so, I have yet to replace my old cleaners. So I knew it is time to hit up google and research some easy home-made all natural household cleaners so I could safely get the job done. Below are some of my favorite recipes from some of my favorite websites. I have included the links in case you get the itch to clean clean clean, so you can see what else they have! For me, I'll start simple and hopefully have it all done by February!


Basic Floor Cleaner-
This recipe comes from Julie, our fabulous Lead Esthetician. She discovered this recipe while tackling out bathroom floor one day and it really does work well!

Use about 1 Cup Vinegar for 3 gallons water
10 drops of lemongrass essential oil or a splash of lemon juice
Mop away!

Lemon Oil Duster From Annie Bond

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/alternative-furniture-polish.html#

Most commercial lemon oil is not all natural, but may contain petroleum distillates. Contact herbalists for pure sources of lemon oil. Traditionally, lemon oil has been used for furniture because it is so lubricating and antiseptic.

10 drops lemon oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
A few drops olive oil or jojoba

Dip a soft recycled cloth, such as one of flannel, in the lemon oil mixture, and wipe furniture. You can substitute the lemon juice for vinegar (plain white is best as apple cider can stain)


Oven Cleaner- http://www.care2.com/greenliving/nontoxic-oven-cleaner.html

Saturate bottom of oven with 1/4 inch layer of baking soda. Using a spray bottle filled with plain water dampen baking soda but avoid flooding it with water. After a few hours, repeat. Next morning wipe out with a sponge! No scrubbing, no harsh chemicals!


No comments:

Post a Comment